1) Arvind Kejriwal resigns as Delhi Chief Minister after opposition prevents passage of Jan Lokpal bill.
Features of Delhi Jan Lokpal Bill
a) Provides for establishment of Lokpal to investigate offences under the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988. The Jan Lokpal shall have “administrative, financial and functional independence from the Delhi government.”
b) In a deviation from the central Lokpal and Lokayuktas Act, 2014, the Bill provides for redress of public grievances and protection to whistleblowers. The Jan Lokpal shall have jurisdiction over the Chief Minister, Council of Ministers, Members of Legislative Assembly members of local bodies and any category of permanent, contractual or non-permanent employees engaged by the government and members of public authority.
c) The Jan Lokpal shall comprise a chairperson and six other members.
d) It shall have the powers to issue directions for transfer or suspension of an accused person under investigation if it is apprehended that the person may tamper with evidence or influence witnesses.
2) Supreme Court to examine whether the services by Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams to pilgrims, including accommodation and sevas, would come within the purview of service tax.
3) Mount Kelud, one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world, has erupted in the Indonesian island of Java.
4) Facebook now allows users in United States to choose custom genders like transsexual and intersex.
5) China plans to build the world’s longest under-water tunnel beneath the Bohai sea.
6) People in the News:
Enrico Letta – Italian Prime Minister who announced his resignation.
7) President Barack Obama to propose a billion dollar ‘Climate Resilience Fund’ to finance research into better understanding of projected impacts of climate change and how to better protect communities and infrastructure.
8) Parliament in Belgium has passed a bill allowing euthanasia for terminally ill children without any age limit.
9) Japan International Cooperation Agency is one of the largest foreign donors for afforestation programs in India. It has committed over 15,000 crores.
10) China’s second lunar probe, Chang’e-2 travelled 70 million km into deep space, the longest voyage of a Chinese spacecraft so far.
Current Affairs Questions:
1) Which country’s space-craft is called Chang’e ?
2) Which country recently allowed medical euthanasia for children ?
3) Who is Enrico Letta ?
4) In which country is the Island of Java located ?
5) Near which country’s shore is Bohai sea located ?