1) Microsoft launches wearable 3D glasses called HoloLens.
2) The United States and Cuba began historic talks in Havana to end decades of Cold War-era animosity and re-establish diplomatic relations. The reopening of mutual embassies, closed since relations broke in 1961, will be at the centre of talks.
3) France plans civility lessons and ‘day of secularity’:
French schoolchildren are to be given lessons in national symbols including the tricolour and the Marseillaise in an attempt to combat the spread of religious fundamentalism.
The government announced new measures including a “day of secularity” after concerns were raised that some children — notably those from migrant populations — were failing to understand the “values of the republic”.
Teachers are to be given training in transmitting republican values in an effort to stop young people dropping out of education and falling prey to extremists. Pupils will be given “civic and moral lessons” — including in civility and politeness.
4) India and United States have signed a Joint Declaration of Intent for cooperation in the field of Information & Communications Technology and Electronics (ICTE).
This Joint Declaration of intent made for a period of next five years would help in strengthening industrial, technological, research & innovation and economic cooperation between India and U.S. in the ICTE sector. It would also lead to US companies exploring opportunities for collaboration in India’s ambitious Digital India programme, Electronics manufacturing and Human Resource Development, through cooperation among private and public entities in a focused manner under the umbrella of the ongoing India-US ICT Dialogue.
5) Home Ministry has decided to launch a web portal ‘MySecurity.in’ that will be a platform for innovation in the field of security related web applications. Any individual, company, student, NGO etc can develop and deploy on this portal such security applications which may be useful to the people.
6) Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the “Beti Bachao-Beti Padhao” scheme (Save girl child-Educate girl child). The scheme aims to generate awareness and improving the efficiency of delivery of welfare services meant for women.
Prevent gender biased sex selective elimination
Ensure survival & protection of the Girl Child
Ensure education of the Girl Child
Improve the Nutrition Status of Girl Child
Promote a protective environment for Girl Child
People in the News:
1) N. Srinivasan – former Chairman of BCCI.
2) Lord Harris – considered as responsible for introducing cricket in India.
3) Abdullah Saud – King of Saudi Arabia who passed away.
4) Shanta Kumar – Chairperson of High-Level Committee on Restructuring of Food Corporation of India.
Awards in the News:
1) National Bravery Awards are a set of awards given annually to Indian children for “meritorious acts of bravery against all odds.”by