1) Ministry of Development of North-Eastern Region has issued orders to set up a camp office of the Ministry’s Secretariat by rotation for three to four days every month in each of the eight North-Eastern States.
2) Giving a fillip to the programme of developing smart cities in the country, the United States Trade and Development Agency (USTDA) today signed three Memorandums of Understanding on Cooperation to Support the Development of Smart Cities in Uttar Pradesh , Rajasthan and Andhra Pradesh with respective state governments .
3) The Income Tax Department has been awarded GOLD by the Government of India under category “Cat-I-Excellence in Government Process Re-engineering” for National Award on e-governance 2014-15. The award has been conferred for “TDS Reconciliation Analysis & Correction Enabling System (TRACES)” project launched by the Department.
4) The Supreme Court upheld a 2004 amendment enabling banks to follow different guidelines for declaring bad loans as “non-performing assets.”
The earlier amendment deals with Section 2, which defines non-performing assets (NPA) under the Securitisation and Reconstruction of Financial Assets and Enforcement of Security Interests (SARFAESI) Act, 2002.
5) IIT Bombay will provide free online courses and give access to high quality, IIT-style education to Indian students in Indian languages.
IIT Bombay, launched three Mass Open Online Courses (MOOC) in computer programming, thermodynamics, and signals and systems from the institute’s IITBombayX platform developed in collaboration with edX, a not-for-profit initiative by MIT and Harvard.
6) Government approved mandatory packaging of sugar and foodgrains in jute material to the minimum extent of up to 90 per cent of production.
People in the News:
1) King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, who passed away.
2) RK Laxman: Cartoonist, famous for the creation of ‘common man’ series.
3) Hanumanthu Purushotham assumed charge as the Chairman and Managing Director of National Research Development Corporation.
4) Dr VK Saraswat took over as member NITI Aayog. Dr Saraswat is former Secretary of Defence (Research & Development- R&D) and Director General of Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO).
5) Jaishankar is the new foreign secretary.
6) Shekar Sen: New director of Sangeet Natak Akademi.
7) Subhash Ghisingh: Leader of Gorkhaland movement who passed away.
8) Shirani Bandaranayake: Sri Lanka’s new President on Wednesday restored the country’s former Chief Justice after she was controversially impeached by the previous administration led by Mahinda Rajapaksa.
9) RM Lodha: Chairperson of the three member committee appointed by the Supreme Court to clean up BCCI.
10) Wing Commander Pooja Thakur became the first lady officer to lead the Inter-Service Guard of Honour.
Places in the News:
1) The Minister of State for Tourism laid the foundation stones of campus buildings of National Museum Institute of History of Art, Conservation and Museology (NMI) and Indian Culinary Institute (ICI) in Noida today. While NMI belongs to the Ministry of Culture, ICI is an Institute of the Ministry of Tourism.
2) Salar Jung Museum is located in Hyderabad.
3) Satyamangalam Tiger Reserve is located in Tamil Nadu.
Books in the News:
1) Red Sari, written by Javier Moro. It is a book on Sonia Gandhi.